Sunday, March 26, 2006

Week 12 – Getting back out there and my longest run yet…

A funny ole week. When I got back from Madrid, my foot was a bit sore but I was getting rather nervous about all the time I was missing out on. As I stuck into the blog earlier this week, we are now less than a month away from the Marathon. I am a bit worried at having peaked too soon at the Sussex Beacon Half Marathon so I was keen to try and get back into the routine. My idea was for two shorter runs and then go for my first long run in about 3 weeks.

It almost went that way this week – one shorter run but I did get the long run in. The shorter run was quite a nice one, around the edge of Hyde Park on Wednesday night, before having dinner with P&P. I took a bit of a short cut home but the whole run was about five miles in total. Happily, my ankle/foot felt a bit better at the end of it and I was pretty upbeat. I was meant to go for my second shorter run on the Friday night in Newcastle, but by the time I got up there and ready etc etc, it was just too late. So all it left was to prepare for the Long Run.

Sunday, 26 March 2006 – 16.5 miles, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
As I type, I am still in bits… that was a long old run but I’m really glad I got round it. I am off booze more-or-less fully till after the Marathon (!) and I stayed dry during the week and during the weekend. I am also trying to eat a bit healthier and load up on carbs a bit more. It’s all easier said than done, but I am trying to keep it up. I set out a course, much of which was similar to the one I ran in Newcy a month or so ago. Only this time, the plan was to make it all the way to the Coast and then do a big loop back to eventually get back to Jesmond. I set off just after 1pm and a long afternoon was waiting in store. I read something in the book that I empathised with quite a lot and thought of about five minutes into my run. At the start of the run, I don’t get into my groove very quickly and often it feels like I’m never even been for a bloody run before in my life! I felt that way again today and the first two miles were quite a struggle. But it felt good after that and I got into much more of a groove and the Lucozade Sport was helping out big time. I reverted back to listening to music and set out a playlist of more upbeat music. It is the way forward, I really enjoyed listening to it. The first 7 or so miles were fine and then I started to ache a bit. My ankle was holding up OK and I’ve bought an ankle support which I guess helps. Reaching the Coast was a good feeling and it felt nice to run along it. The next six or seven miles were alright although I was definitely starting to tire. But the last two and a bit miles were tough. All the muscles in my legs were starting to tighten and there seemed to be little I could do to get going. My pace reduced dramatically. I struggled my way back to Devika’s place and got there after 3h02m. Not a great time but a great feeling to get back and to have run for three hours was fantastic. I couldn’t work out if my ankles were sore as my whole legs ached! After some good stretching and a big bowl of past, I felt a lot better. It is nice to be back running properly and hopefully I can now get some more regular sessions in as well as another long run next weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home