Monday, April 03, 2006

Week 13 - My Achilles heel - literally...

Into April and you can feel the Marathon looming.

I had (yet another) mixed week. I seem to be picking up knock after knock and I just can't seem to get the mileage in... 'You can't cheat your legs' - but the problem is my legs aint enjoying the continuous poudning.

I managed all of one and a half shorter runs this week but got around the long run. The first run was on Tuesday morning when I ran into work. It was actually class, although the 5.30am alarm clock wasn't ideal! Running with a bag is harder but I took the route that I would take when driving in, so that I didn't risk getting too lost along the way. Overall, it was pretty good and I was delighted to get to the gym to shower in just over an hour (61 mins).

I felt good going into my next run which was to run back home on Thursday evening. It started off reasonably promisingly, hammies tight as per usual but ok. But at around 75% into the journey, I kept getting sharp pains in my right Achilles heel. Ouch... I decided to jump on the tube for a couple of stops rather than risk a longer-term injury. It was disappointing to have yet another injury to add to the growing list.

Sunday morning, the plan was to take in 19 miles around London. I got up on time as I had scheduled to meet Carsten & Regina at 9.30am at Vauxhall Bridge. Ran down to Battersea Bridge and ran along the Thames to meet the other two... they're not even training for the Marathon, just super-fit runners! We ran up past Victoria to Saint James Park. We took a lap around that, headed up to Hyde Park and did a big loop of that. My left foot hurt a little but my right achilles ached quite a bit. Grin and bear it... We rounded Hyde Park and made our way up to Marleybone where I lost Regina and made my way back home. My hamstrings were tight and I stopped numerous times to stretch them (which felt great). I made it to Victoria and I knew I was on my route back home. Back to Battersea Bridge. The weather was mixed, some heat and some awful rain so mixed conditions, but I guess you get that in London over the course of 3.5 hours! The climb back up Battersea Bridge Road is steep and tough but once I got to the top, it felt good as I was nearly home. It's kind of weird to leave the house just after 9am for a run and then not come back till lunchtime! But I got back and I was very relieved. Again, I couldn't have imagined running another step. I tried stretching a lot but my right achilles was really playing at me. Lots of water and food and rest felt good but the pain was pretty acute. The plan is for more rest - whilst I think I should ideally fit one more long run in, I think realistically I am going to have to taper from here and hopefully be in a reasonable state to even get to the Starting Line in under three weeks' time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home